Sunday, March 3, 2013

Combined Arms: Modern Combat in Micro-Scale

As stated in my previous post I am working on a set of rules for modern combat. Again as with Ocean Thunder it started with a friend, this time Evan, and I not liking any of the offerings out there. We wanted a quick and easy set of rules that would allow us to play a company to battalion level game in roughly two and a half to three hours with believable combat results and game outcome.

Evan had been working on the basis of this for a while before he came to me and asked if I would give what he day a look over. After a quick once over I saw that it had potential but needed some touching up. I expressed my interest to work on this with him and for the past four months or so we have been play testing the rules making adjustments and generally busting our chops on the rules. We feel we have a pretty good core of rules going and we have tested it up to battalion to regiment level at our local game store, Great Hall Games here in Austin. Everyone that plays it has been pleasantly surprised by the set and want to see us continue with the development.

This has also generated a rush on Micro-Scale minis at the store, anything that will help our FLGS keep running is good in my book.

Here are some pictures I have taken while working on this project so far.

 M2 Bradley.

 M1A1

 M60A3

My mixed armor/mech infantry task force. There is a Company of M1s, a company of M60A3s, a company of mech infantry with M113s and their weapons platoon with 2 M901s and 3 M125s (81mm mortar carriers.) Along with 2 F-4 Phantoms and 2 AH-1 Cobras.

The table was 5x8, I don't think anything smaller would have done it justice. Here the armor can be seen rolling up the main road and some infantry following and moving into position  at the first town.

The Sovs brought three battalions. One with T-72s, one with T-62s and a mech infantry battalion. after four and a half hours it was determined that the Sovs had kept the Americans from successfully completing their mission.

Much fun was had and people are asking Evan and me when we are going to run the game again. I'm glad people are enjoying it. I'm also glad I have Ocean Thunder to work on. In the past I got burnt out to easy when working on the rules, now I can bounce between the two.

Please leave any comments and suggestions.

Keep tuned for further developments.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Pat. I may need to start blogging here more frequently. It's been an age sent I've done any thing here. See you back at The Outpost.

    ReplyDelete